Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Alone in the Wilderness

At the weekend I watched this DVD for the first time as I'm in to all things Alaskan during our current cold snap.
You can find more information about the film at the Alone in the Wilderness website whilst facts about its star, Dick Proenneke, can be found there too.
The film was great to watch; a skilled craftsman building his tools and his cabin with astonishing speed. To see someone wield a double bit axe like that was really interesting.
The wildlife photography was great too with wild sheep, reindeer, ptarmigan and bears all starring.
I thoroughly recommend watching this film- if you're interested in hand tools, woodcraft, the northern climate or wildlife you'll be sure to enjoy it.
There is also a book based on his journals - One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey, which I don't have (yet!). Reviews are available in PDF format from the old outdoor magazine website.

4 comments:

Tim Smith said...

It's a great dvd and book. The speed is a bit misleading - they sped up the film when they transferred it to the modern format. He was probably moving about half that fast. I first read the book in the Kenai, Alaska library when I lived up there in the mid 90's. Dick was a friend of a friend, and I wrote him a letter. He wrote me back and I still have the letter. I use it as a bookmark in his book. Great post.

Anonymous said...

I've only been able to find this in USA. And none of the places I've found delivers to Europe. Living in Switzerland, that's a bit of a downer. Where did you find your copy?
/ Karl

sam_acw said...

Karl, I don't know where it came from as I was given it!
I did see that it is in sections on youtube.

Anonymous said...

Aaahhh, now that's a great gift. Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look on youtube. But I'll certainly continue my search for the full DVD too.
Thanks Sam!
/ Karl