Monday, June 02, 2008

Plant Walk 'Round the Block

I spent some time wandering around near the edge of the woods were our new place is in Warsaw.I managed to get some photos of a few interesting plants - firstly a patch of yellow flowers with heads like dandelions but different stalks and small leaves
White Clover, used instead of daisies by Polish children to make chains and crowns - they then pretend to be getting married or having their first communion!
Red Clover, which, like white, are described as edible by some sources yet there is usually a quantity of conflicting information.
What I think is some type of horsetail fern - no flowers, leaves or seeds and it grew in segments. I'd love to find out what this is as I don't recall ever seeing it before. I'll take a guide next time I'm about.Lastly, Shepherd's Purse, described as edible in "Food for Free" but it doesn't state which part.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like there's plenty to explore there.
Nice one.
Pablo
Pablo's Woodlife

Torjus Gaaren said...

I've been eating Shepherd purse since I was a child. You can eat the whole young plant. The flowers in particular are slightly sweet.