Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Patina

I was playing with the pair of carbon steel Mora's I've got at the weekend and decided to try and put more of a patina on the blade.
The reason is that although the hard plastic sheaths are pretty good they do hold moisture against the blade and a bit of patina helps stops light rusting and also looks good.
I've tried with vinegar before but to be honest is does smell a fair bit - especially as you're meant to heat it up to get it to react better!
In the end I used some cheap American style mustard - not ideal but it did the job. The blades are now a mix of steel colour on the bevels and a slate colour on the flats. One other benefit of doing the whole knife is it shows up easily if there are any hollows or rises in the blade bevel.
It's worth having a go with if you have a carbon steel knife you're not too attached to. Of course you can always sand or polish it off again if you don't like it.

3 comments:

Mungo said...

Hello,
I notice that too about the sheaths - they seem to trap moisture in, and the vinegar not only smells, but it doesn't do a great patina... at least one that lasts all that long. I was reading about black rust, and came across this article on 'blueing' steel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluing_%28steel%29
It seems that blueing compounds are basically making black rust also... wonder if there is something we can buy commercially that does a good job at putting a good patina on it.
Cheers,
Mungo

Pablo said...

I'd like to have a go at this. do you have any pics Sam?
Cheers,
Pablo.

Kai said...

I would also like to see pics. I tried to put patina on mora by sinking the blade to big potato overnight. And the result was quite nice actually. Worth of trying. I can send picture if you like.

- Kai