Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Starting as I Mean to Continue

Well, welcome to 2008 everybody!
I made it out to the woods today for the first time in a few weeks after juggling various family responsibilities and it was well worth the effort.
The weather wasn't exactly great - misty and between +1 and -1 most of the day with a very light dusting of snow. The only problem was that it being New Year's Day there weren't a lot of buses and it took me over an hour to get there.
I had a nice walk around for an hour or so, looking for some recent tracks in the light snow but apart from people and dogs there wasn't much to see. I was rather excited by what looked to be a deer track but on closer inspection it was a dog track with a stick running though the middle! I'm enjoying looking at the moment and hope to keep this up whenever I can, I haven't had any breakthroughs yet but it is something else to bear in mind for the full complement of woods skills.
I took a couple of tools with me and had a go chopping through a couple of branches with the Leuku which really does make chips fly - it'll cut through birch as quick as you want to go.
I took the end of a small beech branch and had a go at carving a netting needle from it. Unfortunately the branch was rather narrow and I made a bit of a mess of the hole I drilled in - I should have thinned the branch more and cut a square rather than drilling a hole. I used the Mora for this and when used with a fist grip and a fair bit of arm effort it really does make wood slithers fly.
I also had a go at bashing some flint pebbles I raided from a car park a few weeks ago - I've little enough idea what I'm doing but I'll try to photograph and diagram what I'm doing in the near future. I did manage to produce one nice piece that could genuinely be termed a blade and a fair number of sharp bits and pieces.
All in all it was a really great start to the year and I'll try to follow it up soon.

1 comments:

Jon said...

Sam, just keep on looking at any and all tracks! Don't limit yourself just to the woods - look at parkland, track in town, track around the house. Look for indentations in the carpet where you have walked. It is all good experience.