Sunday, January 27, 2008

Netting Needles

One of Mors Kochanski's requirements of a survival knife is that it is a tool small enough to carve out a netting needle.
My first attempt, about 3 weeks ago, followed the principle of making a bigger piece of wood into a netting needle. If I'd got it right i would have ended up with something along these lines.
However this requires getting a fairly thin but flexible piece of wood with quite a dense grain for carving.
On the other hand there is the split stick approach. While in theory much simpler they can still be real works of art. This picture from the Phoebe A. Hearst Museum of Anthropology shows one such item.I think it would be possible to make one of these using stone tools - even with my severely limited knapping ability. As a single branch is used rather than a split out section there is much less reduction to be done.
I've just got to go and find the right branch now!

0 comments: