Monday, June 11, 2007

Tips, Yurts and Benders

I obtained this book, Yurts, Tips and Benders a few months ago through Amazon and thought I'd post a short write up this evening. It is a nice book with a lot of colour photos to go with the small amounts of text. It does have some links mentioned and a short plan section but it is mostly a diminutive coffe table style book. I doubt you'd be able to build any of the shelters within it without lots of guess work.
It is a book I'd recommend borrowing rather than buying and at times feels more like a holiday catalogue than a reference book. I bought it because I have a growing desire to take a long term holiday outdoors somewhere to have time away from all the electrics and develop some of the skills I read and write about so often. A tipi with a fire seems to be the ideal shelter for this but I've yet to find a source for canvas here (though I've not exactly looked hard). I've thought about using high thread count cotton bed sheets as this is essentially what is referred to as "balloon silk" in Kehphart's Woodcraft and Camping. However light weight is not that essential for what would essentially be a semi-permanent shelter.
In both English and Polish the terms Wig-Wam and Tipi (or teepee) are often confused. A teepee is properly a cone of poles with a covering - be it furs bark or canvas.
This picture from http://www.tipi-holidays.co.uk/ illustrates one well.
A wigwam on the other hand is a domed dwelling which is made with bent, not straight poles. A nice picture of an Apache wigwam (or wickiup) can bee seen here thanks to wikipedia.
I've included a couple of links from www.housing.byrene.com which is a site well worth a browse through.
Over on the Paleoplanet forums there are some particularly atmospheric pictures in a thread about tipi made for a school project. There's a scouting Tipi you can admire on BCUK as well here.

1 comments:

Pablo said...

Thanks for the mini review Sam,

Pablo