Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Zakopane - Blacksmith

Whilst in Zakopane there was a festival for the long May weekend at the foot of Gubalowka. On the couple of days we were there not only were there a number of puppies in the street for sale (Agi fell in love with all of them I think ;-) but also a blacksmithing demonstration. One smith was particularly interesting as he wass forging axes and using a drift to put the eye holes in. They were very thin and light axes and fairly expensive - about 200zl (about £40) - compared to the price you'd pay for most handmade things in Poland. I didn't get one as I bought a traditional highland style ciupaga axe (pictures to follow) earlier in the weekend and I've also just recieved a small hatchet in the post (another future post) I'll leave you with a Polish axe smith and his wares.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


3 comments:

Paulo @ undercurrents said...

Hi
Love your blog so you may want to know that we are working on producing a video series on Bushcraft for our new tv channel. You can check out pilot clips here
http://www.undercurrents.org/visionon/bushcraft.htm

murynowi said...

Hello,

I would like to contact the blacksmith in this photo to purchase a ciupaga axe.

Would you happen to know how to get in touch with him?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Michael murynowi@uwyo.edu

sam_acw said...

I'm sorry - I've got no idea who it was. I'll try to do some digging but the majority of those made were just for tourists.