Thursday, May 31, 2007

Two Trios

Having recently got my new axe I've decided to put together 2 sets of tool trios to show you two different approaches. The traditional trio consists of the DeLaForge Axe, Tlim Nessmuk and my SAK. It covers the 3 main tool types recommended by Nessmuk and Kephart in a fairly traditional way and defnitely has the edge in aesthetics.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



On the other hand you can have the modern approach. I've included the Bark River PSK as the whittler element as it does fine at this. To be fair the Cold Steel Canadian is such a good knife it can do an awful lot. In fact it is my standard cooking knife in the kitchen at home. The photo also shows the not so beautiful cord wrap job I did on the PSK which is designed to bulk out the handle and to supply some emergency cordage. Not great but not bad for a first attempt. This set comes in lighter and definitely the main knife and axe are cheaper. The stubby axe is fine for carving and chopping apart frozen food but I've not managed much serious choping yet with it.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



I hope to get some long days playing in the woods soon but I have to work in York this summer so I can't spend all my time playing. I should still get a few days to myself between the end of term and coming back to England for the summer.

3 comments:

Biby Cletus said...

Cool blog, i just randomly surfed in, but it sure was worth my time, will be back

Deep Regards from the other side of the Moon

Biby Cletus

American Bushman said...

Great looking setup Sam.

I've got to read up a little more on your new axe. I'm really liking the look of that one.

I picked up a double-bit Nessmuk axe from Ragnar at Ragweed Forge a couple of years ago and have been very pleased with it.

B

Pablo said...

I'll take the top set please.

Pablo.