Sunday, February 11, 2007

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen


This was a book I added to a recent Amazon order as I had seen it mentioned in one of OldJimbo's articles on the outdoorsmagazine website. What I hadn't realised was that it was a childrens book (hooray for impulse buying!) and this did colour my enjoyment of the book somewhat as it doesn't go into great detail about many things and the main character has a very limited range of emotions.
If I had read this book when I was ten I would have loved it though, it is a nice story of a young boy who is stranded alone in the Canadian forest with only the coat on his back and a hatchet on his belt. I think that kids would love it for the lack of adult interference (although there is a back story about the hero's parent's divorce) and the fairly graphic and gory descriptions of hunting.
One thing I did find frustrating is that most of the animals in the story are given nicknames by the boy and none of them are properly named at any point in the book. I have no idea what animal he is talking about at some points.
In all it is a decent book and one that outdoorsy kids would love. It isn't something I'll be reading again (only took about an hour to read). You can get it through Amazon UK.

6 comments:

aaronie said...

I loved this book myself. I'm an English Language teacher and think that this provides an excellent opportunity for students to explore decision-making. =]

Aaron Wong, Singapore

Anonymous said...

im 14 and my english teacher made our whole class read this then do heaps of work on it and put up a wall all about the hatche ....
BUT i thought the ending was weird
lyk didnt have much detail about wat happend and stuff


sam

Anonymous said...

I absolutly loved this book, my reading teacher had us read this, I read ahead, and thought the end could have been better, but this is a very good book
Shelby...

Anonymous said...

this is one of my favourtie books, i read it frst in grade 4 and ever since, me and my brothers go into the forest at our cottage for a night or two. With nothing but a hachet ad kives. Most sad part in the book was when Brian dropped the hatchet in the lake.
He got it back. :) lol

Anonymous said...

My name is Dakota, Im 14 and this is one of my favorite books. I have read every one of Gary Paulsens books, and they are amazing.

Anonymous said...

my literature teacher made us read this and then do a collage.
it was terrible '_'