Sunday, October 08, 2006

Out in Pionki

I went to the park today which is about 25mins by bus from here and accessable through a small town called Pionki. It was a good few hours entertainment but the woods are mostly plantations pine with very few other types.
I did manage to find a few downed birch branches so I collected a few scraps of bark for tinder and made the world's ugliest birch container.




The bark has two obvious layers and is very flexible. There is also a noticable "pop" as you score it to remove it from a branch. My container was very simply made by peeling a thin sheet of bark of a dead branch, scraping of the woody inner bark and folding it over. The sides were secured with a pine needle threaded through them. It was made to hold dried pine resin which I wanted as I'm going to have a go at making a pitch stick.
There were tons of mushrooms everywhere but none that I knew to be edible so they were only collected photographically so I can try to identify them at home.
I'm still pretty sure that this isn't one to be eating though! Pity the pretty ones are the bad ones.



I'm reasonably sure it is a Panther Cap but you're welcome to prove me wrong.
The only wildlife of note was a woodpecker who sounded more like a drummer in the distance until you got right under him. He was pretty impressive looking but you'll have to take my word for it as I've got no zoom on my camera. He's in here somewhere!




That's all for today. I'll let you know how the pitch/resin goes and post more mushrooms when I've figured out what they are.

0 comments: